WHAT IS STEPHEN MINISTRY?
Stephen Ministry is a program of our congregation that equips lay persons to provide confidential, distinctively Christian one-to-one care to those who are experiencing all kinds of life needs and circumstances, both in our congregation and in our community.
The purpose of Stephen Ministry is not to tell you how to handle personal problems or to replace clergy, but to offer support, suggest possible alternatives, and provide Christian caring in complete confidentiality.
The Stephen Ministry is named in honor of Stephen who was the first lay person commissioned by the Apostles to provide caring ministry to those in need (Acts 6:1-7).
A STEPHEN MINISTER IS…
- A child of God who walks beside a person who is hurting
- A member of our congregation who has gifts for caregiving, who has volunteered to serve in this role
- A member of our congregation who has received 50 hours of training in providing emotional and spiritual care
- A caring, Christian friend who listens, cares, prays, supports, and encourages
- Someone who will faithfully meet with you for about an hour each week , for as long as there is a need
- Committed to preserving the confidential nature of the caring relationship
- Someone who participates in regular support and supervision under the guidance of trained Stephen Leaders
- Someone who can provide referrals as needed
STEPHEN MINISTERS CARES FOR
PEOPLE FACING TOUGH TIMES
- Divorce or separation
- Loneliness or discouragement
- Spiritual Crises
- Unemployed or a job crisis
- A terminal illness
- Birth, adoption, miscarriage, or infertility
- A chronic illness
- Relocation or transition
- Recovery after an accident or disaster
- Disabled or caring for an ill or disabled family member
- Home-bound or institutionalized
- Depression or anxiety
- Stress and burnout
- And many more
STEPHEN MINISTRY MULTIPLIES OUR
CHRISTIAN CAREGIVING AND OUTREACH
Our Stephen Ministers work together with our pastors to reach more people with Christian care than pastors can by themselves. People who receive care from a Stephen Minister: receive quality Christian care, deepen their relation with the Lord, grown in their desire to participate in Christian community, and come to value ministry from another lay person while continuing contact with the pastor. The identity of those receiving care and what takes place in each caring relationship remains private.